Monday, November 1, 2010

Election Day Blues #39

A New York polling place, showing booths on th...Image via Wikipedia
Oh, it's another Election Day, isn't it? Well, of course we'll vote. I keep getting reminders in e-mail and even an offer to text me a reminder. I don't need a reminder. I may be getting more forgetful, but I have not yet forgotten to vote. I hope they text my son, though. He could possibly forget. I think I'll text him. That should get his attention. I don't text. It's not even included in my plan. None of us need the help that's been widely offered in getting to our polling place either. It's at the same school, right around the corner, where we've voted forever.
We've changed out voting system for this year after using the mechanical lever method since time immemorial. We got to practice in the primaries. There's a paper ballot and you just fill in a circle and thereby indicate your choice. . That seemed simple enough. Then it gets scanned into the system and with a little luck it gets counted properly. Some people object to the new method because there is less privacy. Instead of a booth with a curtain to pull closed you're just sort of partially shielded. I can see where that could be a big problem. It's not much of an issue for me, personally, though, because we have what I'd call a very low drama polling place. The poll workers are helpful, but they have to keep an eye on the donut supply. The place is never packed. I think the longest line I ever encountered had three people ahead of me and that was a year when things were really crazy. I do wonder what percentage of people around here vote. I don't think I've ever run into one of our near neighbors at the polls. What are the odds of that in the course of thirty-five plus years?

So, I know we'll vote. What I don't know is if we'll be glued to CNN watching returns this time. I'm guessing we won't. I don't think any of us can take it anymore. And of course, the predictions aren't great for our side. The 2004 Presidential election sent my mother to the hospital and, just a little less directly, into a final decline. I'm not quite ready for a final decline. There are people who still require my services around here. I hope your voting experience goes smoothly. And I hope that a lot of those poll are wrong.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Here in WA we used to have the punch ballots which leads to hanging chads(!!!) So now we are almost all mail in. The Engineer was on mail ballots a long time ago because of where he works and leaving the house at 5.45am with half the town and them all getting back at the same time (small town, one industry so to speak). I miss going up to the school but we make a big deal out if it around the kitchen table with the voter's pamphlet and stuff I've clipped out of the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you via Kay. I like your blog design and the way you write.
    We have the same kind of voting system you just got. I think it's OK.

    ReplyDelete